An app redesign won’t save Snapchat
This week in social media we review: 280 characters, Harry Potter AR, iPhone glitches, & more!
- Facebook is rolling out a budget optimization tool for their advertisers.
- Users can now add older photos and videos to their Instagram Stories, as the platform took away the 24-hour timespan.
- Snapchat didn’t meet the mark on their user growth and revenue for Q3, and they’re blaming their poor user experience. The platform announced an app redesign this week to hopefully remedy the problem, but is that enough?
- In addition to a redesign, the platform is planning to implement an algorithm to provide users with personalized Stories feeds.
- Twitter announced this week they’re officially expanding the character limit on tweets from 140 to 280 characters.
- We haven’t seen the last of the guy who discovered KFC’s 11 Herbs and Spices. The brand sent him a painting of him and the Colonel with a majestic landscape background. What does one even do with such a thing? #ArtIsSubjective
- Twitter is taking aim of small business marketers with their $99-monthly ad subscription program.
AR, VR, & AI
- With Apple’s new AR capabilities on iOS, social media and AR are going to blend even further.
- The ethics of AI is still up in the air, but researchers are working hard to develop a plan for the latest technology.
- A Harry Potter AR app is coming in 2018 from Niantic, the makers of Pokemon Go. This is the best news I’ve gotten all week. #ExpectoPatronum
- Stock trading is going social with TD Ameritrade’s new capabilities for its Facebook chatbot.
- Could the Facebook model be the future of television? Buzzfeed’s CEO thinks so.
- Droga5 is the new agency of record for IHOP, working with the brand to celebrate their 60th anniversary.
- Taylor Swift’s new album dropped this morning and she’s still gracing us with FIRE jams. 🔥🔥🔥
- The glitch seen round the world.
- Sneezes are ALWAYS funny.