Get a first look at Snapchat’s new redesign
This week in social media we review: New Instagram features, Google Poly, and the royal engagement!
- Ever wondered if any of the Facebook pages you follow are actually Russian trolls? You’re in luck! Facebook is letting you know.
- Instagram wants users to send more DMs, so now there’s a new feature that allows users to “remix” the photos and videos sent through private message.
- The platform also has a ton of other new features currently out for testing, including an in-app regram button!
- The Snapchat redesign is dropping today and with it comes the return of best friends. Here’s what all these changes mean for marketers…
- McDonald’s had a Black Friday mishap on Twitter. Naturally, Wendy’s had a snappy comeback, as they always do.
- Taking a note from a feature on other social platforms, Twitter is testing a feature that allows users to save tweets for later.
AR, VR, & AI
- Google’s new service Poly provides stock “objects” for AR and VR. This week they released a Poly API, so the objects can be discovered while in VR.
- Facebook is using AI technology to detect suicidal posts before it’s too late.
- Who knew change could actually come to an age old industry like grocery stores? These 5 brands are shaking up the definitions of grocery stores and CPG brands.
- There’s one place adblockers don’t work: in print.
- Spring 2018 is bringing another royal baby and another royal wedding, as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced their engagement this week. But since Meghan is an American, are the nuptials just Britain’s evil plan to exact some Revolutionary War revenge??? Probably.
- Matt Lauer is the latest to be accused of sexual assault in the workplace. NBC announced he was fired from the Today Show this week, where he’s worked for the last 20+ years.
- The only thing worth knowing about the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show this year is that one of the models took a tumble and CBS didn’t edit it out.
Happy Friday! For some light weekend reading, take a look at one of our case studies here.